Exhibit Schedule by Gallery
BID Gallery 597
(597 Main Street between Centre and Maple Avenues). 914-960-1460.
- Emerged – An exhibition of young artists working in New York who have been on the scene for several years. The show questions the idea of the "emerging" artist—what does it take to become a mature artist? The artists in this exhibition not only create their work, but curate, teach, and run galleries in their own right, becoming an important force in shaping and directing the scene: Katrina Rhein, Noah Landfield, Shervone Neckles, Tommy Mintz, Dionis Ortiz, Nik Pashenkov, Elise Co, Will Corwin, Joe Ahearn, Elizabeth Meluch, Sara Pringle, Clara Fialho, Evonne Davis, Alex Egleton, Blanka Amezkua, and Ellie Pyle.
Gallery Hours: Fridays, July 9th and 16th, 5:00 to 8:00 PM. Saturdays, July 10th and 17th, 12 Noon to 4:00 PM.
- The Black Show – Have you ever walked into a dark room and had to wait for your eyes to adjust before you could see anything? As you look for the light switch you start to see shapes emerging and colors becoming more visible. That’s what the Black Show is all about. Three local artists invite you to experience the diversity, drama, and subtle nuances of the color black as used in contemporary art.
B.A. D’Alessandro welds metal into dynamic and balanced structures that use the color black as a way to integrate her sculptural forms.
Jesse Sanchez paints on large format black and white prints in order to bring the viewer a heightened emotional and visual experience.
Daniel Zaccari creates live looping and improvisational soundscapes, often deeply evocative and atmospheric.
Show dates: July 22–August 12, 2010.
Opening Reception: Thursday, July 22, from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM.
Gallery Hours: Fridays and Saturdays 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and other times TBA.
*NOTE: Pick up your Downtown Dining discount card at the Gallery! Neighboring restaurants on our gallery block will offer special discounts on the days of BID Gallery 597 exhibits. Participating restaurants are: Rangoli Indian Cuisine (615 Main Street); Bella Bella Italian Restaurant (583 Main Street) and The Little Mexican Café (581 Main Street).
(Artist Spaces Building, 81 Centre Avenue just off Main Street, 3rd Floor/elevator). 914-557-6000.
- Chi Modu: “The Defining Years”
Chi Modu, a renowned photojournalist and cultural observer, chronicles the beginnings of the hip-hop movement, now a global phenomenon. Through his images of the artists, he captures them as real people, not one-dimensional celebrities. Chi Modu’s timeless, unique photographs have also been licensed by Sony, Paramount, Viacom, The New York Times and The London Times.
Artist Talk & Reception: Saturday July 24th from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Party after at the Little Mexican Cafe with live music with special guests.
For other gallery hours and upcoming workshops call 914-557-6000.
(43 Lawton Street opposite Library Green). 914-636-1166.
- Highlights of the 70’s and 80’s—An exhibit and sale of serigraphs by museum quality artists from the late 1970’s and early 1980’s including Ray Parker, Alvin Loving and many others.
Gallery Hours: Mondays through Fridays, June 15th through June 30th from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Lumen Winter Gallery at New Rochelle Public Library
New Rochelle Public Library (43 Lawton Street opposite Library Green). 914-636-1166
- Face 2 Face: Digital Photographs by Ivar Hyden—A perfectly fun exhibit for the summer season—digital photographs of paired portraits of well-known and not-so-well known individuals have the viewer guessing—who are these people and why did the artist put them together?
Gallery Hours: July 8th through August 7th during normal Library Hours.